advice | Most Important Hockey Skills
Always spend time improving skating skills. Fast and agile skaters are first to the puck and tend to be more involved in the play. Great skaters are always in demand by coaches.
Regardless of age a player can always become a smoother, more efficient, more agile, and faster skater. While skating is the most important skill it is important to practice skating fast with the puck and shooting quickly. In the development pursuit of becoming a complete hockey player work to become as best as possible at the skills below:
- Striding Technique become as efficient as possible by lengthening the stride
- Maximize Speed quick foot recovery and arm movement
- Agility crossing over and side to side movement
- Turning & pivoting deep knee bend and ability to change directions instantly
- Puck Control holding on to the puck while maintaining maximum speed
- Stickhandling being deceptive by moving your hands and shoulders
- Shooting weight transfer and follow through for accuracy
- Moving Shooting feet moving and less predictable
- One-Timer quick release and shot placement
Practice everything and remember, if you can't skate, you won't get very far with the puck, and if you don't get very far, you won't be taking a lot of shots.